Sunday, June 15, 2008

22 and not wearin' shoes, cuz it's... summertime

I tend to reminisce of the past (naw, really?! no way.), and the other day I was thinking of when I was a kid, living in a townhouse with my brother, his best friend, my sister, her boyfriend, my mom, and my dog, how my mom never slept. I now begin to wonder why, because of course, as a kid, you're simplistically ignorant.

She used to wake me with the vaccuum at three in the morning when she had to work the next day. I would go downstairs and catch her, in the midst of random papers or contents of a cupboard or two, scrubbing away. Then she would huff for a minute, take a drag of a Virginia Slim 120, and notice me standing in the alcove, Barbie nightgown-clad and towing a stuffed animal.

Instead of shooing me off to bed, she let me stay up for awhile and watch her clean and give her suggestions of which figurine should go where. It's not because she didn't care whether I got sleep or not, it's because she wanted the company.

My mom, although strong because she had to be, raising four kids plus their tree branches of friends, was lonely. It's weird to think about, simply for the fact that I know she had friends then - the same friends that she has now.
Thank goodness for my [step]dad to get her out of that funk, that all-American story.

Back to reality sake, in the now,
Amber came to visit for a few days which made me happier than anything else as of late. We took her out to 80s night at the douchebag kingdom of all bars in downtown GR (with the exception of some I will simply NEVER set foot into) - The Drink. Now, I'm not hating on anyone here, but I won't be going back anytime soon. However, they did play some good music.

I'm not hating on friends that go there - I simply promised Gina that I'd go - and the first time I was there I had a great time.

However...
Those great times do cut short.
Basically, I defended my friend in a bar fight. (WHAT?!)
So my friend Leane comes out of the bathroom, right, to inform us all that a girl in the bathroom had apparent qualms with her and shoved her against the wall. When Leane asked her double-you-tee-eff, the girl ignored her and another one stepped in between and wanted to roust.

So I ask Leane to point the girl out to me, so we can ask her what's going on; Leane in actuality hates to fight, as do I. Haven't done so since 11th grade. I am more verbal above all else.
But, with booze in the bloodstream and anger rising in her throat, she confronts her then and there. Two seconds later, the girl is slinging beer bottles over her head like Xena: Warrior Princess and that's when I step in, shoving her backward into the bar, leaving her baffled.

As an end result, Leane gets booted, the girl got to stay, the girl left battle wounds on my arm (nail scratches), and I had a bump on my head from when the bottle grazed me. At least it didn't break.

How fun.

I just got done gardening, and the yard is finally shaping up nicely... well, as nice as it's going to let me get it to until funds start coming in again.

That's going to be awhile... since I am being sued by another credit company this time.

Sweet.
Fuck you credit cards.

At least I have awesome pals to keep me motivated on this happy streak (cHeWie, Midg, Patrick, Gina, to name a few), or else I'd give up altogether.

Happy Father's Day, to all the awesome dads or those who aspire to be.

No comments: